[Scribus] 1.1.5 changes 1.1.4 doc

Susan Hogarth susan
Thu Feb 19 16:59:56 CET 2004

Quoting Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au>:

> Hi Susan
>

> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 14:49, Susan Hogarth wrote:
> > After finishing a newsletter I did in 1.1.4, I installed 1.1.5. Let me say
> first
> > that I *love* the things I'm seeing in 1.1.5! It looks very nice, and I'm
> > happily playing with it already. I want to send you money (and when I get
> some,
> > I will...). I'm pretty new to DTP, so I wondered why everyone was whining
> that
> > you couldn't make X columns in a textbox - but I can see that's a HUGE
> feature
> > to have! THANKS!
>
> It works well.. I just did my own magazine recently and it was
> unbelievably simple compared to multiple linked text frames.

Oh, yes. I was playing around with silly stuff like crazy donut shapes with 15
columns. I'm afraid if I'm not very stern with myself I will get into the mode
of "I'll do this because I *can*" :) Luckily next newsletter issue is scheduled
for right around April 1, so I can excuse silliness as an "April Fool's" prank
:)

> > However, the doc I made in 1.1.4, when I opened it in 1.1.5, has some
> > differences. What I noticed is that text which 'fit' in a  particular text
> box
> > was now not 'fitting' - the text boxes were asking for more space :-/  No
> big
> > deal, since I had PDF-d the files and sent them to the printer already, but
> did
> > anyone else notice this? Is it maybe some difference int he hyphenator
> > (although even the headlines have this), or maybe just the text boxes want
> more
> > 'whitespace'?
>
> Yes.. there were changes made to the handling of text next to the edges
> of the frames based on some issues we found and so Franz made some
> adjustments that seem to help a lot. You still have control over the
> spacing from the edge of the frames though so perhaps adjust it there
> (Properties palette).

Thanks - based on another comment I receieved I also think it is this spacing
issue (I'm not at my computer right now so I can't check right away). I think
the extra space around the frames is a GOOD THING, even if it briefly paniced
me when I opened up those docs :) After all, they're already at the printer's,
so it's not a big deal anyway.

Thanks again!

--
Susan Hogarth