[Scribus] Creating booklets with Scribus

Morten Langlo mlanglo
Mon Feb 16 18:03:02 CET 2004

l?r, 14 feb, 2004, 23:36:12 -0500, skrev Carl Waldbieser:
> My mom is interested in creating booklets for her crochet patterns, and I
> [Cut]...
>
> What she wants to do is to fold 8.5"x11" Letter sized paper in half so each
> page is 5.5"x8.5".  She also wants to be able to layout the page in order
> and then have the software figure out the placement of the logical pages on
> the physical sheets of paper.
> [Cut]...
>
> All constructive advice is welcome.
>
> Carl Waldbieser

Hello Carl W.

One way to do it:
Make the book in scribus in a5, and the pages in order.
Print to a postscriptfile and then use the tools "psbook" and "psnup"
to reorder and place it on ex. a4 landscape papers.
- Sorry, but I can only think in a4, a5, etc :-)

Here a script you can use to make booklets.
This one puts a5 on a4, but you just change the -pa4 to fit your needs!

make this an executable file - make_booklet

    #!/bin/bash
    # Place any number of a5 portrait on a4 landscape papers

       psbook -s$1 $2 | psnup -pa4 -s1 -2 > $3

    #EOF

If you have 7 pages, use the script like this:

   make_booklet 8 from_scribus.ps booklet.ps

The number of pages (first argument) should be a multiple of 4.

the output from psbook and psnup in this example (7 pages) is
[*] [1] [2] [7] [6] [3] [4] [5] Wrote 8 pages, xxxx bytes
[1] [2] [3] [4] Wrote 4 pages, xxxxx bytes

Then you print out the pages (booklet.ps) from ghostview,
or maybe just lpr booklet.ps

Have fun

Morten

--