[Scribus] Setting Linescreen

Steve Jacobs steve
Sun Feb 15 04:32:51 CET 2004

I'm far from expert at this stuff, but I'd guess you need to specify a
different device. Do

$ gs -h

to see what is available on your machine. Then use Devices.htm (in the
ghostscript docs) plus trial and error to find one that works. lj5mono
works well with my lj1200 (which is, I think,  a lot like your lj1300).
I've used lj5gray successfully with a hp lj8150.

There is a useful ghostscript manual at
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/merz.htm.

Good luck,

Steve

Wayne Maeda wrote:

> On Saturday 14 February 2004 10:52 pm, Steve Jacobs wrote:
>

>>You can also export as pdf or postscript, then send that to the printer
>>via ghostscript. Your command line will look something like:
>>
>>gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=lj5mono -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dDITHERPPI=85 -r1200
>>-sOUTPUTFILE=\|lpr /home/steve/scribustest.pdf -c quit
>>
>>The important arg is -dDITTERPPI=85 (85lpi halftone, change the number
>>to suit your needs). I think -r1200 tells ghostscript to compose to a
>>1200dpi (or whatever) device, overriding the device driver setting. You
>>may or may not be need this. It seems to give me better halftones from
>>my lj1200.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Steve
>

> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the tip. My document prints out OK except that the -dDITHERPPI
> setting doesn't seem to have any effect on the outcome. No matter what I set
> it to, the resulting linescreen on the printout is the same. My HPLJ1300 does
> support postscript emulation. Hmmm.
>
> Wayne

Steve Jacobs
Steve Jacobs & Associates