[Scribus] compiling

Plinnell scribusdocs
Fri Dec 24 02:11:45 CET 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 19:37, Craig Bradney wrote:

> > > What version of freetype do you have installed?
> >
> > Hmmm - no idea - tried typing 'freetype' got the following:
> >
> > bash: freetype: command not found
> >
> > Do I need freetype?  wht is freetype?
>
> Freetype is a library that gives you the ability to use fonts...
>
> If your RH8.0 has never been upgraded at all, it uses 2.1.2 I think, which
> is too old. You need 2.1.3 or better. One of those arcane RPM commands will
> help you find out exactly what version you have installed. Time to upgrade
> though I think.
>
> Craig

Hi,

You will need freetype2-devel to compile from source. IIRC RH8 uses a heavily
patched freetype2 v 2.1.3, which had some (at the time) CVS patches pulled
into the RPM. It worked, but was hellish to update as other libs were built
with that particular version of freetype2.

RH8 was the first major distro to switch to fontconfig and suffered
accordingly. Most all of the font issues in RH8 were fixed in later versions
of major distros.

Peter