[Scribus] English finally replaces unreadable text

Louis Desjardins louisdesjardins
Sun Dec 19 17:13:31 CET 2004

>Servant wrote:
>
>>Next, if Scribus can stop redrawing the entire
>>file when you input type, and add imposition, it
>>will be approaching a usable, real world DTP app!
>
>While I do see the redraw issue as troublesome, I'm not sure your
>approach is entirely helpful. As for imposition, at work I use (many
>copies of) a three and a half thousand dollar (AU$) DTP app that
>lacks not only imposition, but any decent support for non-latin
>text, reliable font handling, opentype, PDF export, etc.
>
>I'm not going to pretend there aren't issues with Scribus, but the
>lack of built-in imposition would not constitute one of them in my
>book. A plug-in for simple imposition (for those printing at home)
>would be nice, but anybody doing serious printing and imposition
>will be using an external tool to impose PDFs anyway - usually a
>VERY expensive Acrobat Pro plug-in. Good print-shops should also
>have such tools. Support for professional imposition would be
>unbelivably cool, but I must say I think the lack is very, very far
>from  a show-stopper for 99% of users. Imposition is _hard_,
>especially to do right. One could argue that the time that would
>have to be spent implementing imposition support might be better
>spent addressing the redraw issues you mentioned, or making any
>number of other improvements.

100% agree. Imposition is another story. Doesn't mean it can't or
shouldn't be adressed. Simply, it's something else. :-)

>I stepped up and started working on some of the issues in Scribus
>that troubled me, and worked on adding some things I needed. What
>I've done has been rather limited so far, but I've done it. I would
>be delighted to see if I can help you get started planning and
>writing a simple imposition plug-in. I'm on IRC quite a bit, and of
>course on the mailing list, so feel free to drop me a line.

And there is so much nice work to be done!

This message gives me the occasion again to say how I am impressed by
the team's reactivity, efficiency, responsiveness and spirit.

Louis

P.S. If I may add one word on "helpful approach", I'd say there is
nothing such an "unreadable text" just because it's a language
someone doesn't know. :-)