[Indlinux-group] Re: [Scribus] Incorrect rendering of Devanagari text.

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Dec 17 22:24:45 CET 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 18:55, Gora Mohanty wrote:
>  --- Ravikant <ravikant at sarai.net> wrote:
> > Dear Craig Bradney
> >
> > Let us forget cloaks and daggers. However, please
> > try and understand that we are part of the Indlinux
> > team and we are also interested in localising
> > Scribus, as we have already done gnome and .kde. But
> > localisation can start only after the software
> > demonstrates its usabilty for the users of languages
> >
> > that wish to work on it. For this we would need the
> > name of the person who is working on it - we wish to
> > help him and work with him/her and help ourselves
> > ultimately. Try and understand, we are in desperate
> > need of a free publishing software - and Scribus is
> > the only option we have - a lot of our work and
> > credibilty depends on it, as it is a basic tool.
>
> I second this. From our experience a big niche area
> for commercial software in our native language, Oriya,
> is in desktop publishing. Scribus looks like a very
> promising alternative to Pagemaker. Forget
> localization, Scribus with even an English interface
> would help a lot in the credibility of open-source
> software. Please let us know how we can help to get
> Indic languages supported.

Well, you have a reply to the list.

What needs to be done is to do testing on Qt, as one stage, to see if it is
really rendering all your glyphs 100% ok, check other apps that currently do
support your language to some or all extent.

Let us know what language, and what apps do or dont work for glyph rendering
and combination.

At this point, its not about coding, its about finding what works where in OSS
and what doesnt.

Craig