[Scribus] (perhaps a bug?) one eps file exported from scribus could not insert into oowriter

David Purton dcpurton
Wed Dec 8 04:09:07 CET 2004

Wow, gopher protocal. It's been ages since I even seen it, and never
used it. I can't make the link work. firefox, lynx, and curl give errors
when trying to download it. Is there a secret to downloaded stuff using
gopher?

I'll make some guesses despite not seeing the file.

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:40:49AM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Here is the eps I exported from scribus, views okay with ghostview, if
> open with gsview, gsview crash:
>
> gopher://realss.com/99/this_week/Realss_International_Publication_background.eps.gz
> (file 670KB)
>
> This eps file, when inserted into openoffice (ximian version 1.1.1),
> display as a graphic with three lines of words:
> 	Title:
> 	Creator:Scribus 1.2cvs
> 	LanguageLevel:3
> Screenshot here:
> gopher://realss.com/I9/this_week/openoffice_graphic_fail.png

This would make sense, The eps probably does not have a preview and
openoffice can't interpret postscript, so all you get is a placement box
with some info from the eps header.

If you print your document to a postscript printer it will in theory print
ok.

No idea why gsview would crash, unless it by default it is specifying gs
options that cause ghostscript to break on this file. *shrug*

> I tried to use ps2ps(1) to down-level this eps, and obtained another file:
>
> gopher://realss.com/99/this_week/Realss_International_Publication_background_ps2.eps.gz
> (warning: 4MB)
>
> This graphic when inserted into openoffice, the result is nothing happend
> (no graphic inserted)
>
> I am not sure if this is an openoffice problem or an scribus problem. What
> do you think?

If you want to include a scribus file in openoffice, your best opion
will be to export your page as an image from scribus and import that.

Your other option is to use ghostscript to convert your eps to an image.

something like:

  gs -sOutputFile=foo.jpg -sDEVICE=jpeg -r=300 -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE bar.eps

cheers

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton at chariot.net.au

For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to
strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him.
                                 2 Chronicles 16:9a