[Scribus] inkscape (O.T.) gtk 2.4

Plinnell scribusdocs
Sun Dec 5 13:13:07 CET 2004

On Sunday 05 December 2004 06:04, BandiPat wrote:
> bart at solozone.com wrote:
> > I see inkscape 0.40-1 wants gtk2-2.4 but my SuSE 9.1 has only 2.2 and the
> > static binary rpm reports ''failed dependency'' Ok I can get gtk 2.4 from
> > ''ULB'' (''user local binary'') on line but should I install with rpm
> > -Uvh or delete all of gtk and start all over. The ULB is set up it seems
> > for SuSE and gnome specially made which is fine but it is not exactly an
> > distro upgrade. Advice?
> >
> > In Wind 98 SE it strains my little laptop.
> >
> > Bart Alberti
> > bart at solozone.com

> ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME
>2
>
> Bart,
> Go to that location instead and get the official SuSE rpms.  Many people
> have been stung with the ULB files and I would recommend you staying
> away from them.  You can easily update your 9.1 Gnome with simply:
> rpm -Fhv *.rpm
>
> There is a Readme file there as well, please read that first.  These
> should provide you what you need to compile the new inkscape, although I
> haven't had any luck yet on my 9.2 setup.  Seems they have it looking
> for some files in odd places and it errors out right now.  I just
> haven't put anymore time into it yet to lead it to all of them.  I
> suspect you will have to do the same.
>
> Patrick

Hi,

As an FYI, it is impossible to build inkscape 0.40 on Suse 9.x from source
without adding some of the ulb gnome libraries or compiling several packages
from source.

Hence, I have not packaged a Suse 9.x rpm to be released with the rest of the
Inkscpae distro packages  as I have done in the past. I recommend, upgrading
gtk2 to 2.4.x and then using the static 0.40 rpms which I have tested and
they work fine for me on Suse 9.1.

The major missing dependency: gtkmm2 (Suse 9.x ships gtkmm2 2.2.x, Inkscape
needs 2.4.x+). Also it is recommended to have the latest libsigc++2-2.0.6 or
2.0.3. Versions 2.0.4-2.0.5 had bugs which affected Inkscape.

If Suse releases their own gtkmm2 2.4 packages, I will build rpms right away.

I hope that helps. Inkscape 0.40 is a damn fine release ;)

Cheers,
Peter