[Scribus] import multi-page PDF ?

Plinnell scribusdocs
Wed Dec 1 21:46:55 CET 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 22:03, Paraplegic Racehorse wrote:
> Craig Bradney wrote:
> >On Wednesday 01 December 2004 21:36, Paraplegic Racehorse wrote:
> >>I've been trying to import a three page PDF file into a document. It
> >>seems I can only get page one to appear in a graphic frame and can't
> >>seem to figure out how to make the additional PDF pages spill over to
> >>other frams on other pages. Any tips?
> >
> >Tip 1: Dont beat your head against the wall
> >Tip 2: Scribus wont do what you wish to do, in current form
> >Tip 3: The future is bright
>
> Thanks, Craig. I had already figured as much. I do believe that I will
> just send the original PDF to my Mac, break it up there with the
> ever-so-friendly Preview.app and send the resulting files back to my
> Linux machine, where all the layout work is being done. It's ugly, but
> it should work.

Pleeeease don't.  I am not impressed with some of the things I've seen the way
preview app handles things.  *shudder*

If it is essential, please contact me off list and I'll crack it apart in real
Acrobat.

> >Now, Peter will probably come up with a list of tools to break up the PDF
> > for you when he's back at the PC.

Two ways:

1) Easy, graphical with GSview 4.6 and preferably updated GS. (I'm running
8.33 beta happily)

Open PDF, File > Convert > Use the pdfwrite "Device" Then select the page and
convert.

Pros: Click and point easy (done in 30 seconds)
Cons: embedded or subset fonts will usually be converted to Type 3 fonts.

Caution: from GSview you can only specify a max resolution of 720 dpi and
there are loads of options in the GSview properties button. Safe choice:
Parameters: PDFSETTINGS > use /prepress

2) Command line and scriptable:

example:

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=p1.pdf -dFirstPage=1 -dLastPage=1 -dNOPAUSE
-dBATCH in.pdf

or for page 2

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=p2.pdf -dFirstPage=2 -dLastPage=2 -dNOPAUSE
-dBATCH in.pdf

Scriptable:

collect stdout via something like:

 if [ "`gs -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=p1.pdf -dFirstPage=1 -dLastPage=1
-dNOPAUSE -dBATCH in.pdf`" != "" ] ; then exit

Cautions: Default PDFwrite resolution 720 dpi. It can go higher, but GS will
limit the page size to the Adobe limit of 32767 pixels

I tested this with some OO PDF's and the results were pretty satisfactory.

> Oh, goody, goody!
>
> Debating about filing a feature request in the bug tracker ....

If it not there, please do it is a a very worthy feature.

Cheers,
Peter