[Scribus] Printing on hp color laserjet 4500

Atlantic Tech Solutions tech
Tue Aug 17 01:41:06 CEST 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 15:04, Morten Langlo wrote:
> Hello list.
>
> I am trying to print from Scribus to a HP Color Laserjet 4500.
>
> If I print without Color Management the pictures look really "flat",
> and if I use Color Management the pictures are too much orange. I have
> tried different printer profiles - some standard and also the one for
> the hp 4500 found in a driver package for NT.
>
> I would really appreciate some help.
>

> Sincerely Yours
>
> Morten

Morten,

It sounds like the stock icc profile is stuffed.

CMYK printers like that need to be recalibrated and then reprofiled after
recalibration.

On a Fiery at my clients, I had what I would call 98% match when it was
calibated. That is, Scribus could export PDF or print with the same kind of
accuracy as any other pro DTP app with color management, as long as I used
the proper profile.

The icc profiles were created using Monaco color tools under windows 2k, but i
also used them in Scribus with *very* accurate results. I have printed the
Scribus logo which has some difficult colors to match on screen and print
(dark blues for example) with very high fidelity from screen to print.

One other way to test is to keep all images, colors etc. as RGB and print
using the PJL driver instead of the PS driver. Alternatively, try exporting a
"screen" (RGB) pdf and print it from kprinter.

The last bit of hints I can think of is to make sure you have lcms 1.13, it is
much more accurate in some transforms.

Cheers,
Peter