[Scribus] Get text problems

Anthony R. King tony
Wed Aug 4 04:07:20 CEST 2004

First, kudos to the development team.  Scribus truly is a killer app.
I've used other DTP software enough to be familiar with the basics.  I
just built my first project with Scribus and everybody's happy,
including the printer.

I wanted to warn others about a problem that caused me a lot of grief.
When I saved Word files as txt using OO.o 1.1.0 a non-ascii artifact was
left at the beginning of the file.  It looked like this "<feff>The
Fish's Tale".

Whatever that is caused 5 or 6 crashes "with signal 11" and corrupted
unrecoverable files.  The crashes happened late in the production
process or when trying to delete the artifact while in Scribus.
Eventually, I opened the text files in vi, deleted the <feff> and the
project went together in less than 2 hours.

Thanks again for the great app.  Hope my trouble will save someone else
what I had to go through

Tony