[Scribus] working with layers (beginners questions)

Craig Bradney cbradney
Fri Apr 30 11:58:03 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 11:27, Uwe Fechner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions related to the use of layers:
>
> == Question 1 ==
>
> In the context menu there are the items:
>  - layer (ebene) and
>  - copy to layer
>
> I have too layers, background and pictures.
>
> To move a picture from background to pictures, I can only use
> "copy to layer" and not "layer -> one layer up".
>
> Why?
> What is "one layer up" and "one layer down" for, if it doesn't
> work?
>
> == Question 2 ==
>
> If I have only one layer (Background), I can still use the context
> menu actions "layer -> in the forground" and "layer -> in the back-
> ground. Is there a foreground and a background layer in each layer?
>
> == Answers ==
>
> Well, I think that I discovered, there are many layers in each layer.
>
> I think, different names should be used for these different things
> (or is it just a translation problem - in German both things are
> called "Ebene", is it different in english?)
>
> I will use the term "sub-layer" and "named layer" in the future.
>
> == Question 3 ==
>
> Is there a way to display the sub-layer and the named layer, to
> which an object belongs?
>
> I would expect, that in the properties palette (or in the status
> line at the buttom) the number of the sub-layer should be displayed).
>
> Also it would be nice, if the layer name AND the sub-layer number
> would be displayed in the "overview (?bersicht)" treeview window for
> each object.
>
> Perhaps we find a way, to improve the easy of use for beginners.
>
> Thanks for the good work:

You have levels of objects on a page, ie you can have one object on top
of another. These are called Levels in the context menu and on the
properties palette.

Then, theres layers.. so u can have multiple layers, each with their own
levels. Perhaps the translation needs fixing for the German.

Craig