[Scribus] On extra space [bug 424]

Mardigrafe - Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Wed Apr 28 18:57:57 CEST 2004

Hi everybody,

I was reading the discussion over bug 424 about the extra space and I'd like to add a little comment.

It is suggested that Scribus could take care of the double spaces at the end of a sentence, like other languages such as LaTex and HTML do (that is, the extra space is automatically deleted). It is of course very common to put 2 spaces at the end of a sentence. Many people just don't know that typography in general doesn't like those extra spaces! This is why professionnals rely on utilities to get rid of all those spaces that can affect the overall quality of typography.

That said, there are some cases where an extra space is needed. So I agree Scribus shouldn't eliminate extra spaces automatically. But there is still a need to address the issue nonetheless. Because I also agree with the bug reporter that 2 spaces are something you don't want, in general. This could be handled through the Search/Replace dialog... and it could be made easier if users could use the feature throughout a whole document, at once.

As it is, this feature works only in an active text box. My suggestion : feature enhancement to allow Search/Replace throughout a whole document.

Good day to all!

Louis
--

MARDIGRAFE INC.