[Scribus] No rich text?!!!

Mardigrafe - Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins
Tue Apr 20 20:36:12 CEST 2004

Hi Terry,

I agree text enrichment is not the best handled feature in Scribus but here are some ways to work that you might find useful.

As Craig mentionned, beware of the Story Editor that will suppress any enrichment made to the text before an "Update Text Frame". So it is better to work on the definitive version of the text when in Scribus. (Of course, editing is still possible within the text box.) Enrich following Craig's instructions.

For my part, I find useful to use the Paragraph Styles in the early stages of document creation. This allows to edit the paragraph styles later on, without affecting the enrichment.

Basically, if you do not use and apply a paragraph style to a text before enriching it, you are going to lose some controls over that formatting that would have been very easy to keep with the help of the paragraph styles. And, worse, you will lose any enrichment made before if you suddenly decide to apply a style later on.

Try it and you'll see exactly what I mean!

Remember that the default style settings "Left" based on the Edit>Preferences>General>Tools settings (font, font size, text color) is uneditable in the Paragraph Style dialog box just like the "Center", "Right", "Block" and "Forced" settings (they are called "style" but aren't really). You can only edit a style you created in that dialog. When applied to text, you can enrich it, and then modify the style without losing enrichment, including the font.

If you change the font, you are going to need to use the Search/Replace menu to change at once the enriched part of the text which you'll obviously want in the same font family as the text. Just check "Font" in both Search and Replace. Do not look for specific text and you'll be done in seconds.

HTH

Louis

--

MARDIGRAFE INC.