[Scribus] Installing Scribus on OS X

Martin Costabel costabel
Wed Apr 7 23:29:44 CEST 2004

Mardigrafe - Louis Desjardins wrote:

> Hello again!
>
> Fink installed.
> Developper Tools for OS X installed.
> Ran into an error for not having the latest version of C Compiler (was
> 3.1) - upgraded to 3.3.
> Scribus now in the list of installable application in Fink.
> I selected Scribus and ran the Install command.
> Everything seemed to be running fine for hours.
> After 6 hours (this is an "old" iMac G3-350MHz) the job is "done" but
> here are the last lines :

>  /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-base-threaded_4.2.1.1-16_darwin-powerpc.deb
>  xfree86-rootless-threaded
> ### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
> Failed: can't batch-install packages:
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-rootless-threaded_4.2.1.1-16_darwin-powerpc.deb
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-base-threaded_4.2.1.1-16_darwin-powerpc.deb
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-base-threaded-shlibs_4.2.1.1-16_darwin-powerpc.deb
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-rootless-threaded-shlibs_4.2.1.1-16_darwin-powerpc.deb

Why do you try to install this xfree86 garbage? These are very old
versions that you should not even *see* on a Fink version for Mac OS X
10.3. Your Fink installation must be very badly configured.

> Also, I had X11 installed to run OOo but now this doesn't work anymore!

Although you don't show the error message, I suspect that those xfree86
packages that you unnecessarily spent hours to compile actually did
install some parts, thus destroying your X11 installation.

I would propose you to restart from scratch and do the following steps:

1. Remove the directories /sw and /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11
2. Reinstall both X11 packages from Apple, the X11User.pkg from the
Panther system CD (CD 2 or 3), and X11SDK.pkg from the Xcode CD
3. Download the Fink-0.7.0-Installer.dmg from the Fink web site and
install it.
4. Install scribus. Make sure that this is scribus version 1.1.6, and
that it does *not* try to install any xfree86 package. If it does try,
this is a proof that your Apple X11 packages are not installed
correctly. It will still spend hours compiling, because qt3 has to be
compiled, and this takes several hours. Scribus itself doesn't take
hours, even on an old G3/350.

If you don't want to spend hours compiling, install scribus-1.1.5 from
binary. This will download all prerequisites like qt3 from binary, too.

--
Martin