[Scribus] Introduction

Jeff Lasman blists
Sun Apr 4 08:18:00 CEST 2004

This is my list introduction...

I've been wanting to leave Windows behind for about a year now, so today
I downloaded and installed Scribus.

I've used PageMaker since it's earliest day on the PC, and sometimes I
even think I know what I'm doing, but I can see I'm going to have a
learning curve.

These days I don't do much paper publishing, but I still do enough that
I can't leave Windows completely behind until I have some kind of
replacement for the little I do.

I already have a few questions:

Has anyone created a printable version of the documentation?  What I'd
like is something I can print out and carry with me, and read during
the many times during the day I'm waiting somewhere.

(If not, perhaps it's something I can add to the project, but I need to
learn first.)

Can someone point me please to a primer on how to make my fonts with
Scribus?  I have lots of fonts on my RHL 9 desktop, but most of them
don't show up with Scribus.

And to any tools, if they exist, for the kind of typographic control
I've gotten used to?

I'm going to build another desktop system with more up-to-date software;
I'm thinking about trying Scribus with Knoppix.  Is that a good idea?
Or a bad one?

Thanks for your help and for bearing with me as I learn.  Hopefully I
can quickly become a productive user and a productive community member.

Perhaps I can add a bit to the development as well as I become
knowledgeable; While I don't consider myself a programmer, I've a
background in Systems Analysis, and I can write and edit end-user
documentation (in English only, I'm  afraid).

I'm also a trained and experienced typographer and have even worked on
some trademarks and logos with which some Americans in this group might
be familiar.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation