[Scribus] Working with Scribus when Gimp is still open ?

Jean-Jacques Sarton jj.sarton
Thu Apr 1 17:40:39 CEST 2004

Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian R?der schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I did some exercises with the latest Scribus CVS to check out the new
> features. I like the 1.2 CVS tree very much, but there is one think, which is
> not very comfortable in my opinion:
>
> When I choose "edit picture" from the right mouse button content menue, Gimp
> opens the picture (great). But if I change something on it and save the
> picture, I can not laod the picture in Scribus again to see the result until
> I closed Gimp. In my opinion this behaviour is not very comfortable and if
> possible, I`d like to have it changed. It would be great, if Gimp is only
> started ones and can remain open, so that for every new picture just a new
> window in gimp is opened (as gimp normaly does) - so I save some time,
> because gimp doesn`t have to start up again for every picture.

I know the behaviour, this can't be solved in an easy way. Scribus
must detect changes and wait until the gimp terminate or the file
was modified. If your gimp is allready open it will be nice to call
remote-gimp (if installed) instead of gimp and you will have more
possibly more pictures oppened within the same gimp session. If you
save the file under and other name Scribus will never detect that
you wan't to continue the work you habe previously done, this will
not be easy because scribus wan't to wait up to the notification
of a change or termination of gimp. For the first release of this
feature we have not solved all possible problems.

Jean-Jacques