[Scribus] Scribus PDF Capabilities / PDF Gallery

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Sep 24 15:36:43 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 05:39, ma han wrote:

> BTW, any chance to have this
> http://nashi.altmuehlnet.de/pipermail/scribus/2003-September/002228.html
> answered? This could be helpful not only for me, but
> for all non-English speakers who want to support
> scribus team and provide well-tested hyphenation
> patterns for their languages.

> best regards
> Maciej Hanski

<snip>
>Hi list,
>what is the best way to test different hyphenation pattern files with
>scribus? I'm going to find out, if the current hyph_pl.dic  (which I
>provided a few weeks ago) is really the best one of the 3 or 4 Polish
>hyphenation pattern files available out there. Do I need to *recompile*
>scribus after replacing hyph_pl.dic in the installation directory or is
>it simply a matter of replacing the hyphenation file in (in my case)
>*/usr/local/lib/scribus/dicts*?

I believe so.

>Another two questions to working with hyphenation:
>- Is it possible to hyphenate selected words or texts as well, not only
>entire text frames?

Somewhat. You can insert optional "smart" hypens, by selecting a word and Atl & -.
If you do not like the automatically created hyphens, place the cursor before
hyphen delete the character before and the hyphen and then retype the deleted
character. This how you can over ride the defaults.

Note, also hyphenation options follow the document. If you create a doc with
automatic enabled this is saved in the doc. If you then change the defaults to
manual and then re-open the doc, it will still automatically hyphenate if you make
changes to the text frames which would cause text re-flow. The converse is true, if
you create a doc with automatic disabled and then change the preferences to auto
matic with no docs open, it will not automatically hyphenate.

The hyphenation engine considers the whole text frame before re-flowing the text.
At least, in English, I find this works quite well. The algorithms seem to be well
chosen. I find it rare to need to manually over ride the automatic hyphens.

- Feature request: would it be possible to store once manually
hyphenated words as an additional hyphenation file  in user's home
directory?

Franz would have to address the possiblity in enabling this.

Hope that helps to clarify a bit how it works.

Regards,
Peter