[Scribus] Re: What is the best way to create a booklet?

Robbie Pickering drymartini
Tue Sep 16 13:07:12 CEST 2003

>If it were me, I would do the page in full letter size with the two
>booklet pages, as you mentioned, on one page.  That just provides a
>better format for the printer to use, if running on an offset later.

>I think you will indeed need to put the layout together so that it is
>print ready when you take it to the printer.  That way they don't have
>to do extra work to get the pages right before or after printing and
>then going to the binding.  The more work you can accomplish means less
>work for the printer, thus less cost to you and more control over the
>final product.

This is very bad advice IMHO. Imposition is best left to the printer
since they do it all the time and they know what suits their workflow
best. You don't know what sheet size the job is going to be printed on.
Your booklet might actually be printed 4-up, 8-up or 16-up.

You should create your document completely normally, with page 1 at the
beginning and carrying on 2,3,4, etc. and create a PDF like that. Allow
for bleed and ask the printer how much they need. Make sure they know
the page size of your PDF and the final trimmed size and leave the rest
up to them.

The only exceptions are if you're taking the job to a copy shop
instead of a proper printer when it would be necessary to take a
ready-imposed file --- or if your printer specifically demands an
imposed file.