[Scribus] Scribus reviewed in the latest LinuxFormat

Patrick magicpage91
Sat Sep 13 16:09:42 CEST 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:18:22 -0800
Paraplegic Racehorse <paraplegic_racehorse at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 10:37, Paul wrote:
> > That said, the reviewer did make a mistake I won't object to -
> > apparently, Scribus is the only Linux dtp application available...
>
> According to it's web site
> (http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/pptout/), Passepartout is an "Open
> Source Desktop Publishing application for the X Windows environment."
> It appears to be just what it claims. If it works, then Scribus would
> not be the only page layout software for linux (but it would be the
> only one at or above 1.0 mark.)
>
> ====================

Well, actually there is one more at least and that would be PageStream.
It is listed at v4.1, but should actually be 0.5, as it is not usable
for anything but opening on the screen.  It's an Atari & Amiga leftover
that is very good on those platforms.  It's also available for Windows &
Mac, but those are not up to the Amiga version and I believe the Mac
version is for System 9.x, nothing more.

Of course, there's no need to mention TeX or LaTeX in Linux because
those are big standbys real DTP experts use already.  With the new crop
of GUI types though, Linux is certain to gain ground in this area,
especially as good as Scribus is and will become.

Patrick

--
          ---SuSE Linux v8.2 Pro---
        Registered Linux User #225206