[Scribus] fonts.dir and fonts.scale

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Fri Sep 12 07:15:20 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 21:27, ephemeron wrote:
> I've traced my Scribus font problem to the lack of either of the
> two files ("fonts.dir" and "fonts.scale").  I know how to create
> them.  By hand.
>
> Inasmuch as Scribus is the only program I have that explictly
> requires the presence of such files, my wishlist request is:
>
> Would it be possible for Scribus itself to create these two
> files?  To make this user configurable option, the fonts (which
> are likelty to be installed as root) could be symlinked in a
> Scribus ~/.scribus/fonts/ directory.  Here fonts.dir and
> fonts.scale could be created without becoming root.

Paul is working on a completely new way of discovering fonts, so a bit
of patience is asked.

That said, Scribus needs far more info about your fonts than almost any
application - hence it is a bit fussy about fonts. Rightfully so, some
Mac OSX users of Indesign are having lots of problems with crashes,
mostly because of fonts..