[Scribus] A request or two

Johannes Wilm j
Tue Oct 28 19:43:55 CET 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 18:21, herve couvelard wrote:
<...>
> I think (my 2 cents opinion) that a soft is used for one thing. in
> France we say : "qui trop embrasse mal ?treind" (well something like :
> 'to much kisses is bad for F." So lets do DTP with scribus and scripts
> with scriptings language.

Well there is no reason why one shouldn't do scripting with scribus now that
the python bindings are there. With those bindings, the entire universe of
python scripting with all extra python products is open to us.
One case were that could be helpful is fx a situation that I was in last year.
We needed to make a daily newspaper for indymedia in which articles would be
collected from an rdf-address. I wrote a python script to handle the rdf and
then to parse it on to reportlab (makes PDFs) to produce finished PDFs. The
problem was of course, that there were things in the online version of the
articles that did not fit into the print version, and so we ended up changing
the online version just before we would make the print edition and then to
change it back afterwards. Now if I would have done that same thing with
scribus it would both have offered the advantage to actually create the paper
automatically AND to allow for manual changes afterwards!

But what I though would be need would be to allow for phases of editing while
the script runs... meaning that the script will let the user operate
normally, but will again do something if he chooses to add another page or
so. Is that feasible?

--
Johannes Wilm

--