[Scribus] Custom paper sizes

ephemeron ephemeron
Sat Oct 25 22:43:21 CEST 2003

At Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:37:12 -0400,
Peter Linnell wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 16:52, ephemeron wrote:
> > I created a layout on a "custom" paper size, 5.75 x 7.75.
> > Now I want to print it on the actual paper, which measures
> > 5.75 x 7.75.  How do I do it?

Forgot to specify the units are in inches.

> > Exporting to PDF produces a page of the right virtual size.
> > But when the page is sent to the printer, the printout begins
> > some way down the page (as if Scribus is trying to center the
> > layout on the preset size for, let's say, A4 paper).  Is
> > there a way to force Scribus to print from the top left edge?
> > This seems to me to be the right thing to do when custom page
> > sizes are involved since, as far as the printer is concerned,
> > paper sizes differ only from the bottom right edge.
>
> At the moment, Scribus has excellent direct support for CUPS
> which is excellent for controlling driver features in the
> printer.(You should see the dialog box from hell when you print
> to a high end laser or RIP.:)

I'm missing that.  I probably need to recompile.  But I did try
set the page size with http://localhost:631.  The result?  A
miniaturized printout of the page (somewhat like a thumbnail).

I did discover a fairly effortless workaround.  Importing the
"custom" size document into a standard letter size document:

File -> Import -> Insert Page...

My only problem was that the function is limited to a range of
one page per import.  I had to import each page of the document
individually.  I know this can be scripted, but I don't know
python at all.