[Scribus] Scribus for sale!

Patrick magicpage91
Thu Oct 23 05:46:04 CEST 2003

Ok, Guys,

I'm afraid I'm here to complain!  I started what I thought would be
about a 30 minute layout and 1 hour later, I'm still struggling!  I quit
before I became so irritated that I would remove Scribus from my system.
 I could not believe things were so difficult for such an easy layout.

Here is my story.  I laid out my default page in Letter size, landscape
mode.  Created 3 text boxes.  Wanted them to be outlined, but it still
seems you have to draw another box shape over those to get that?  I
remember some chatter about this item and do not remember what was said.
 Seems to me, you should be able to designate the box you draw, whether
text or graphic, you should also be able to assign it a solid outline as
well, adjusting the size of lines and/or rounded corners, if desired.

I gave up on that for the moment to continue the layout.  In the first
box, I added some text down the left side, like this:
21

22, etc.

I then tried to add separator lines between them all.  Next problem
coming up!  For each line I added, the text tried to move around or away
from each.  Some didn't move or was just covered up with a line!  Every
time I wanted to move or adjust a line, I had to put the text box to the
back, left click outside the box, then go back and work with a line.  If
I mistakenly missed a line the text box came back to the front,
automatically, and I had to go thru the process again to get back to the
lines!

I drew a small box in the next text box, to use for say a checkmark, but
again, if I missed the box, the text box would come to the front, send
to the back, click outside, go back the little box.  I noticed that if I
double clicked the little box, it would come to the front and activate.
Tried this in the first text box with the lines and it would change my
object/move tool to a text tool!!  Arrrggghhh!

Is text run around default on the drawn objects?  Why or where did the
option to change that go?  You can still do text flow around a graphic
you bring in, but of course, you don't seem to be able to tell it
how/where you want the text flow to go anymore.  I think that was an
option before you moved things into the properties tool box?  If you
send an object to the back, shouldn't it stay there until you bring it
back to the front?  Why when you send an object to the back to you have
to unselect it before going on to the new object?  Is this one of those
things you do in layers, like a graphics program to eliminate this
headache?

Good grief Charlie Brown, should it be this difficult?  I am using
1.1.2cvs from 5 Oct.  Sorry, if I sound frustrated, but I am.  :o)

Patrick

--
          ---SuSE Linux v8.2 Pro---
        Registered Linux User #225206