[Scribus] wrong directory, wrong units, wrong language

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Oct 22 06:35:24 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 21:41, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> Peter Linnell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 20:54, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> >

> >>2) wrong units
> >>
> >>Change units to inches (under Edit->Preferences, but the x-pos and y-pos
> >>and the guides interface will say "in" but the coordinates will not be
> >>inches.
> >>
> >>This is confusing when you manually setup several guides and then notice
> >>that are all wrong.
> >>
> >>(My workaround was to exit Scribus and restart it; that should not be
> >>needed.)
> >

> > Ditto. I can't replicate this on RH9.
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed this same thing (RH8, qt 3.0.5, gcc 3.2-7) and sent an email
> to Franz.
> His answer was that you're not supposed to change the units for the
> current document in Preferences (that's for the next new document). To
> change the units on the current page, you click the upper left corner of
> the page (a little gray box that has 'pt' or 'mm' or 'in' inside).
> Nonetheless, when you change the units in Preferences, it changes the
> *labels* of the units on the current page, but the *values* remain in
> the original setting (is this a bug, or just something you shouldn't do?).
>
> Greg Pittman
> Louisville, KY

Thanks for this report. This is beginning to make sense. No smoking gun
though.

I just upgraded to RH9 from RH8, this past week and I have run every
release of Scribus since 0.8 including the daily CVS commits from Franz
and Paul since March. When I had 8.0 there were a number of small bugs
relating to the preferences units and measurements that I sent Franz
chasing after - some he could not replicate on Suse, some he could fix.

Now I just tested the issue about 10 different ways you reported with
RH9 and Qt 3.1.2 and cannot replicate it. Moreover, even though Franz
says do not change the units this way, it works perfectly.

Example: Create a guide at 4.25 inches on a US letter page. Then either
switch in preferences or in the ruler end and the measurements are
exactly as expected. Switch to points and the measurement is 306 pts.
Switch to Picas=25.5 This shows up in the manage guides dialog as well
as the palette and in the status bar.

Possible solutions in order:

1. Try the current CVS. You will need python devel libraries, as the
scripter is now included with the main app. It is both *very* stable for
CVS and has bunch of performance optimizations thanks to Paul Johnson.

2. Upgrade to Qt 3.1.2

3. Upgrade to RH 9.

It is my experience the RH 8 Qt packages were less than stellar and used
the Qt and KDE packages from http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/  I find
these much more faithful to KDE and they re-enable useful features in
KDE like kpackage and kuser, which are more mature than the RH home-brew
replacement apps. I have rebuilt the key source rpms without difficulty.

Let us know if you find a fix.

Regards,
Peter