[Scribus] Qt 3.2.2

ephemeron ephemeron
Sun Oct 19 01:39:37 CEST 2003

At Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:48:06 +0100,
Paul wrote:

> > BTW: There is a bug report from September 23rd asking for
> > packaging of the the new 1.1.0 version. So the ?unstable?
> > version might change some time soon, and maybe it will even
> > proceed into ?testing?.
>
> I found it most gauling that at the Expo we had a lot of Debian
> users insisting that 1.0.1 was the latest version despite the
> software saying otherwise.

galling?

> I have contacting the Debian chap over the problem and offered
> to help him out as well, yet I've not heard back from him.
>
> I've nothing against Debian, it's a fine distro with a lot of
> respect due. I just find it annoying when one of the developers
> of a piece of software is basically ignored on email when
> trying to help.

Maybe you can help with my Debian font problem?  Debian has a
font management (defoma, x-ttcidfont-conf) system which
apparently relies on symlinked fonts to do its trick.  Scribus
doesn't, it seems, recognize these symlinked fonts.

A line in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 points to a directory which
contains the symlinked fonts:

FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"

The virtual font directory is under /var/lib/defoma/, while the
fonts themselves are in /usr/[...]/font-package-name.

$ file /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/Vera.ttf
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/Vera.ttf:
symbolic link to `/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf'

This simplifies things a bit because to access the TrueType fonts
all you need is that single line in XF86Config-4.  This "system"
appears to work for all X-based apps except Scribus.