[Scribus] REt: Quality Control: Creation vs. Production

Paul paul
Fri Oct 17 00:12:27 CEST 2003

Hi,

> ( copying the Scribus list so the guys will have a testimony)

Thanks :-)

> IMHO , as long as the actual DTP applications ( Quark, Adobe, Corel
> and others...) dont produce 100% of the times a flawless PDF,
> why not taking a time to look at  Scribus, www.scribus.org.uk ,
> it is GNU, Linux and Mac OS X , its pretty good
> ( surely it will not fill ALL your needs but it is evolving very fast )
> and Scribus produces very good PDF files since version 1.0
> ( up to now I was unable to produce a bad PDF with it ).

It will also run on Win2000 (and 3.1, but oddly, no other versions!),
Solaris, Mac OS 8 (though it struggles) and I've managed to get it to
compile under ARM Linux (but that's splitting hairs really). It is also
worth saying the response speed when it comes to bug reports and fixes
being released. We also implement things which users ask for, suggest
could be better or just look fun to do!

Scribus produces PDFs to the X-3 standard and verify perfectly using the
PDF testing software available to folks.

>  > To complicate things further, we're now seeing a lot of content creators
>  > take on the task of conversion of native app files to garden-variety PDFs
>  > (many of which are flawed, according to the printers I've spoken with).
>
> It is exactly where Scribus have a great advantage over all other DTP
> packages,  with the native XML file format and the native PDF output.

XML also has the huge advantage of being text editor playable.

Thanks again for posting this to us.

TTFN

Paul
(Scribus developer)