[Scribus] REt: Quality Control: Creation vs. Production

Celio Santos celio
Thu Oct 16 18:53:24 CEST 2003

Hi Gretchen and gang of the CTF Forum ,
( copying the Scribus list so the guys will have a testimony)

IMHO , as long as the actual DTP applications ( Quark, Adobe, Corel
and others...) dont produce 100% of the times a flawless PDF,
why not taking a time to look at  Scribus, www.scribus.org.uk ,
it is GNU, Linux and Mac OS X , its pretty good
( surely it will not fill ALL your needs but it is evolving very fast )
and Scribus produces very good PDF files since version 1.0
( up to now I was unable to produce a bad PDF with it ).

 >It seems to me that it's a no-brainer for content creators to want to
 >accept the responsibility for the integrity (and subsequent success) of
 >the digital files they prepare for print. But it never ceases to amaze me
 >that there are still so many native application files being trafficked
 >around with content creators sending them out to their manufacturing
 >partners without so much as a preflight.

Almost all of this pre-flight applications doesnt "interpretes" the file, they
just "check", its not vendor talk , plase take a look at DALiM - SWiNG
www.dalim.com and you will see some very nice explanations about .

 > To complicate things further, we're now seeing a lot of content creators
 > take on the task of conversion of native app files to garden-variety PDFs
 > (many of which are flawed, according to the printers I've spoken with).

It is exactly where Scribus have a great advantage over all other DTP
packages,  with the native XML file format and the native PDF output.

 >But the problem is, if they have not verified the integrity of the native
 >app file, those errors will continue to wreak havoc in the PDF file. My
 >message in the article I've been writing is that, as a content creator, it
 >better serves you (it's cheaper, faster and easier) to catch and fix
 >errors at the native application stage--NOT once the file has been
 >distilled to a PDF.

One way , again IMHO , to have the content creator running safe is
with a close partnership , integrated in the environment of the pre-press
or pre-media.
One of the ways to do that is then your partner have DALiM - DiALOGUE,
  www.dalim.com a web-based submission and preflight system.

Regards to ALL,

Celio Santos
celio at electronic.srv.br