[Scribus] Which is the "recommend" release?

PFJ paul
Tue Oct 14 13:38:48 CEST 2003

Hi,

> Please don`t get me wrong, i don`t want to criticize the developer of scribus.
> I just want to find, which release may be the best for me? 1.1.0. brings the
> improvements concerning font-rendering but is still a devel release
> (unstable?) And what about 1.1.1. ? Is this more stable than 1.1.0 ? The new
> features might be nice, but  are not that important for the layout of the
> school magazin, though. At the moment, I'd prefer the 1.1.0, because of the
> 1.1.1. problems when I wan to open older scribus docs. Maybe the most
> important feature ( I did`t dealt whith at the moment) is the high quality
> pre-press pdf export. This should work fine.

The current version of Scribus in CVS is 1.1.2 with the developer
version at 1.1.3 (we've taken the decision for stable releases to be
even numbers and internal versions to be odd).

Lots has happened to Scribus since the 1.0 release, most notable the
font handling system is now far faster and stable. The software is less
prone to error as well (I've created a document over 100 pages and it's
still going up!).

PDF export is far better quality than just about every commercial
package I've come across.

> What are your recommendations?

1.1.2

> Are there releases planed for the next 2 weeks, which might bring bugfixes and
> proper stability ? What about CVS - it is normaly the most unstable thing,
> but it`s also a good possibility for fast bugfixes, isn`t it?

Scribus is in constant development (I've been doing a hell of a lot of
optimisations throughout the code - the upshot is the binary is now
under 1.8Mb (it's currently at 2.2Mb) and even faster than before. The
anoncvs server, while you can consider it to be "bleeding edge", it's
actually the code Franz and I have been working on and with the
exception of once, it's been great.

If Scribus was to become commercial, I think Franz, Peter and I would be
takeing a well deserved holiday somewhere and come back, rest a while,
do a couple of fixes and then implement the material which has been
added since the 1.0.1 release and charge a small fortune for the
upgrades.

Things are planned and being planned...

TTFN

Paul

--
Free your mind to a time where a company does not have control
Free your mind to a choice of applications which you can control