[Scribus] Problems with PDF file size

PFJ paul
Mon Oct 13 11:43:27 CEST 2003

Hi,

> I am not sure why Scribus's exported PDF files can be so large. I have
> had 8mb Indesign produced PDF files and basically the same thing
> produced by Scribus is about 50mb. I'm guessing its the option that
> Indesign has to crop images to only include the section that is shown in
> the final PDF. That was with an early 1.1.1 too. Have to see what the
> developers think re that. If the option to crop images to only have the
> shown section can be included it would really shrink the resulting PDFs.

This may sound like a bit of a cop out, but PDFs are a law unto
themselves. While there is a PDF standard (which Scribus adheres to),
other applications don't.

For instance, Adobe's PDF reader skips over mistakes in other
applications generated PDF files - in some cases, this can really screw
things up (I have seen one from ARM which was totally naffed up).

>From what I can see on InDesign and Quark, the PDF generators are not
very good and use some internal compression systems as well. They
certainly don't verfiy using the PDF verification tools available. The
clipping is also hit and miss.

In short, yes, it may be possible to implement some form of clipping,
but only when we're happy will it happen. I'm more concerned in
generating transparent pictures!

TTFN

Paul
(who spent about 3 hours last night bug chasing...)

--
Free your mind to a time where a company does not have control
Free your mind to a choice of applications which you can control