[Scribus] much happier about fonts

bart at solozone.com bart
Wed Oct 8 21:53:05 CEST 2003

Things are much better actually with 1.1.1
The experience I have is very odd, though. Because my
Windows (!) box collapsed and the Linux side saw only GRUB
1.5 I re-installed Linux and abandoned Windows. Fine. Not
any one else's problem.
Then I compiled Scribus and had to upgrade to libart_lgpl
and of course in knew that SuSE 8.1 needed xdevel and the
special SuSE qt3 and qt3-devel upgrades from their site.
The compile on P-III 6000 was 30 mins.
I manually added the fonts paths from Corel Draw I had
archived
~/TYPE1/A, ../../B, ../../C, ../../D,
for the letters of the alphabet which indicate the first
letter of the font name
And presto! I do not really see any speed up but I am sure
this has been carefully studied.

Ok now since so many people want the font preview feature
while in fact it has been abandoned with I suppose good
reason, I SUGGEST:
a FEATURE: Tools --> "Font Preview"
thus you eat your cake and have it, too!
What a smart fellow am I! :-)
 P. S. Since I have given up on Windows platform I give up
on true type, also

P. P. S. The reason for my Windows collapse is absolutely
comical (I used an obsolete McCaffee Web Scan program that
wrecked all my *.exe associations! Ugh!)

Bart Alberti
bart at solozone.com