[Scribus] OT: different libc:s

Craig Ringer craig
Tue Nov 18 05:59:59 CET 2003

>> I'm running Scribus and other programs on a RH9 system which is glibc
>> 3.2.3.
>> I don't want to leave RH9, but at the same time I'd like to be able to
>> run PhotoPaint9 which only works with glibc < 3.2.3. Is it possible to
>> have two libc versions on the same installation? If so, what is what
>> and what is important. Or... any other clue to make PP9 run with libc
>> 3.2.3?
>>
>> --Thomas
>
> ==================
>
> Thomas,
> As glibc is a very important part of the base of your whole system, it's
> probably not wise to tinker with it.  I have heard of some folks running
>  2 versions, but more about folks killing their systems and reinstalling
> everything.

All too true. If you /do/ feel game to try running two glibc versions,
though, it is often possible. You would need to install the extra one in
  a special directory in /usr/local, say /usr/local/glibc-320. Building
from source and using './configure --prefix=/usr/local/glibc-320' would
be the easy way to do so. You then add it to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
running your special app, or use a wrapper script to do it for you. For
example:

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/glibc-320:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH \
   /usr/local/bin/appname

Naturally you'd replace '-320' with your chosen glibc version, I've just
picked 3.2.0 as an example.

Craig Ringer