[Scribus] Re: Windows Port

Roberto J. Dohnert webwarrior
Mon Nov 17 21:13:50 CET 2003

> Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
>> << ********I do not support a port of Scribus to Windows.***********
>> >>

>> I do.
>>
>> << As support for this position, I offer the GIMP port to windows as
>> an  example. The GIMP port to windows did not bring windows users to
>> Linux. >>
>>
>> That was not the intention of the port.  The intention of the port was
>>  to introduce Windows users to the benefits of free software.
>
> I never said that was the intention of the port. What I said was that
> was the result of the port (And it is).

Well maybe some people do not want to try Linux for example, i volunteer
as IT for my church because my company donates all of our old PC's to
them.  I dont want to wish Linux on these guys because, they can barely
turn the machines on, I dont even want to get into Mounting, unmounting,
RPM's, APT or dependancy issues.  Yet in the same token they cannot afford
35 copies of MS Office or Photoshop and other Applications, so what should
I do? Pirate the programs or should I find good Open Source alternatives
that can be had for a fraction of the cost or no cost at all?  The result
of the Gimp port was that people got to use a reliable robust tool without
having to complicate their lives.

>    Im looking on the web and I am having
>> a hard time finding the article or anywhere in the GPL that says Free
>> software is only for Linux.  With ypour attitude thats what you are
>> implying.
>
> Please do not put words in my mouth. I find that distasteful........

I was just stating my own observations, not putting words in anyones mouth

>> No the attitude of many Linux zealots makes it one less reason to try
>> Linux.
>
> Well, this is the Scribus mailing list. So, it does seem to reason that
> you'd find a lot of Linux zealots on it. Where would you have us go? a
> Windows mailing list...?...

I was not reffering to just people on the List.  Its everywhere I go.  But
Linux zealots are not as bad as Mac zealots, we had a guy at my sons
school who withdrew his child from school and put the kid in private
school because the public school system uses Windows PC's and not
Macintosh.

> And what would you say to people who call Linux, Crappy, No GUI,
>> no game playing, no quicktime, technically inferior OS?
>> Windows has its
>> advantages and benefits as does Linux.  I think Windows 2000/XP/2003
>> Server are Fantastic Operating Systems, compared to 95/98/ME.  And yes
>>  in ways i think they are better than Linux.
>

> Well, I'm not gonna answer the question of what I'd call people who call
>  Linux Crappy and etc... That question is flame bate (So, if your
> trolling, I'm not biting). But, I know this: I wouldn't subscribe to a
> Windows product email list and say that I thought Linux was in many ways
>  better than Windows: I be stiring up trouble with the Windows zealots
> who were minding there own business on a windows mailing list....

You were the one who introduced the flame bait, who was the one who called
Windows a Technically inferior, crappy, bloated OS and not in that order?
And Scribus is an Open Source product, not just a Linux product.  It
already runs on Cygwin under Windows so in all reality a port has been
done, my inquiry was whether a native port minus the cygwin environment
was in the works and if it was possible.  Because I do believe in ease of
use and free software.  I use and love Scribus on Linux and my subtle hint
was to see if we could get a native port to Windows not to get into a
which is better Linux or Windows argument with anyone

Regards

Roberto J. Dohnert

--
To view my Linux help page and howto's goto

http://www.geocities.com/kane121975/

I have information on x86 Linux and PowerPC Linux