[Scribus] Windows Port

Steve Herrick steveh
Mon Nov 17 00:21:49 CET 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:21:57 +1030
Brian Marr <cabernet at e-access.com.au> wrote:

> Is this a high priority ? Windows users have access to a huge range of
> software. I envy their choice. Linux users on the other hand have to get by
> with what ever we can get our hands on. No disrespect meant, but Linux users
> need the focus of development effort for some time yet just to break even with
> the other OS. We are still very much playing catch up.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

I won't go so far as to say you're wrong, but I will say my experience has been very different - at least for most kinds of software. Linux has considerably more web browsers, email clients, IM clients, image viewers, etc., than either Windows or Mac OS. Granted, it does have somewhat fewer DTP apps.

Yes, we are playing catch-up in some respects, and Linux has a ways to go in, say, installation processes. But open-source software improves much faster than closed software, and Scribus is improving at a positively frantic pace. Where I'm going with this is to say that if there were a Windows version of Scribus, it would be another way to introduce the general public to open source, which would make Linux itself less intimidating.

Steve