[Scribus] tutorial?

ephemeron ephemeron
Fri May 30 05:30:44 CEST 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:47:41 -0400,
John Culleton wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 05:44 pm,
> tech at atlantictechsolutions.com wrote:
> > At Wed, 28 May 2003, John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > It may share many concepts in the menu structure like Quark,
> > but in my experience with documenting Scribus, its PDF Export
> > features in power and ease of use are only matched by
> > Indesign 2.0, so it has elements of both IMHO. Exporting
> > directly from Quark is not its strength IME.
> >
> > From my experience supporting DTP users professionally, Franz
> > has done a brilliant job of masking a great deal of the
> > complexity of creating high quality PDF, without handcuffing
> > advanced users.  Distilling PDF with Quark, Pagemaker etc, is
> > often fraught with errors for many users.
> >
> > You might be interested to see this:
> > http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/pre-press.html
> >
> > I think it is important to appreciate that Scribus is still a
> > young and quickly developing project, which is entirely made
> > of volunteers.
> >
> > I am of the mind there is a place for both Tex and
> > Scribus. We are lucky to have both freely available with
> > active development and support.
> >
> Thanks for your assistance. I fired up the product and tried to
> insert some text. I could not put the product in text insert
> mode. Must I enter text in some other program and then import
> it into Scribus? Or does it have its own built-in text editor?
> (I think you will appreciate the need for a tutorial :=)

The only tutorial I ever needed with any WYSIWYG DTP program (as
opposed to essentially command-driven layout tools like TeX) is
to look, click, click and look.  It helps that Scribus comes
with tooltips to clarify the ambiguity of any icon.

You can both create and import text in Scribus.  With Scribus,
the creation of text is a two-step process.

(1) Create a container for the text.  Click on the icon (tooltip
    label: "Insert Textbox") that shows a box with the letters ab
    inside.  Using the cursor draw an imaginary box (or frame) on
    the page.  This dotted box will be the Text Box where you
    will put your text.

(2) Create the text.  Either (a) double-click on the Text Box and
    type away, or (b) click on the icon ("Edit Contents of
    Frame") showing an I-shaped cursor beside a hand and type
    away.