[Scribus] Improve rendering of fonts

Sjoerd Hiemstra shiems.scribusML
Sat May 24 21:10:46 CEST 2003

Peter Linnell wrote:
> If you set the display size to 100% in preferences, Zoom in at all
> levels should work well - if freetype2 is working properly. Above 100%
> freetype2 performs all the screen font rendering for Scribus.

Maybe worth noting that setting the display size to x% means: x% of the
*current* setting. So, setting the display size in Preferences to 100%
has no meaning, in fact it changes nothing.

Some further calculation reveals that the distortion of the text takes
place if the document is displayed at less than 72 dpi.
For example, an A4 is 8.27 inch wide, so its contents will display OK if
its width on the screen is 8.27 x 72 = nearly 600 pixels, or more.
My screen width is just 800 pixels (800x600) so the distortion already
takes place if the page width is 3/4 of the screen width, or less.
On a 1600x1200 screen it's 3/8 or less, maybe that's why some other
people didn't notice.

> Moreover, this will be improved when Qt 3.2, See:
> http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/screen/qt32b1.png

I see a document width of about 4 inch covering the whole screen width?
Well, that is certainly larger than the abovementioned limit.

But you may be very well right that Qt 3.2 addresses this issue.

Regards,
Sjoerd