[Scribus] Compiling Scribus

Paul paulf.johnson
Wed May 14 22:58:55 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'll probably review this later and then commit to CVS...

------------->

Compiling Scribus (linux)

You will need the following

1. A C++ compiler, KDE3 and Qt 3.1.2
2. autoconf, automake and make
3. a CVS client

Downloading from anoncvs
========================

The anoncvs server is held in the School of Music, Media and Performance
at the University of Salford, Manchester. Both Franz and I are grateful
for this facility.

If you have not got a cvs client (or have not installed it), then they
source can be downloaded from http://www.cvshome.org or in a precompiled
form at http://www.rpmfind.net - download and install.

To log into the CVS server, do the following

Open a terminal window
At the prompt, type

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk:/usr/local/cvsroot
login

when asked for the password, press return

You then type

cvs -z3 -d
:pserver:anoncvs at ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk:/usr/local/cvsroot co
<module>

where <module> is Scribus, scribus-doc or scribus-pfj

WARNING : scribus-pfj may not compile or if it does, may not work, it's
my development branch

The latest cvs of scribus will download to your machine.

Installing
==========

Change to the directory you've just downloaded (cd Scribus)
Type

make -f Makefile.dist
./configure
make

when it's finished compiling, login in as su

make install

That should be it..... however

Troubleshooting
===============

The majority of problems when compiling Scribus comes from using old
versions of autoconf and automake (this caused large problems when I
first got involved with development, Franz and I were using totally
different version and that caused endless days of fun!). I would suggest
using the following versions

autoconf 2.57
automake 1.6.3
make 3.79

You should also be using KDE 3 (pref 3.1) and Qt 3.1.2. Please ensure
that you are also using gcc 3.2 or later

All distros are not the same!

Mandrake 9.0 shipped with a rather old version of FreeType2, Debian
unstable is *not* recommended for compiling Scribus and Redhat 8 had
font issues. Please see the Scribus Documentation website for advice on
RH font problems

Reporting a problem
===================

Feedback is vital. When reporting a bug, please give the following
information

Build ID (start scribus, click help and about scribus) and the letters
it shows under it. The letters stand for FreeType, CUPS, CMS and Tiff.
If one is missing, it will display a * instead of a letter.

How you found the bug and how to reproduce it also how nasty the bug is
(the higher the number, the worse it is - 10 means it kills the machine,
should never be used whereas 1 means well, it's not important, just
worth noting)

Getting involved
----------------

Feel free to bug fix, add code and anything else like that. Code should
be submitted to Franz (or myself) for testing and committing to the CVS
servers. Once you've shown you know what you're doing and are not likely
to destroy the repositories, CVS write access with follow...

Doc author : Paul F. Johnson
Doc created: 14-05-03

Comments on this folks.

TTFN

Paul
--
The world is throwing away oppressive regimes
Which don't allow people to choose.