[Scribus] a quick question

Franz Schmid Franz.Schmid
Mon May 5 22:23:30 CEST 2003

Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
> This, together with the "my windows were slow but got better after going through
 > them once", seems to be a memory problem: scribus is eating up all the available memory,
 > after which the system starts swapping. Stopping scribus releases the memory and eventually
 > the swapped out applications come back alive (after weaking them up by going through the
 > windows). So my suggestion would be to check the memory usage while trying it again.
> Me myself already noticed that, in 0.9.9 on redhat 8.0, the printing eats up huge amounts
 > of memory: scribus needs about 150 MB of ram during printing ...
Shouldn't do that, my test show a normal behaviour, a slight increase in memory requirements
due to some new Tables allocated for converting Unicode to glyphnames.

But this can't us 150 MB of Ram. A typical Font has around 260 Characters, each Character
requires 4 Byte for the Unicode-Code and 40 Bytes for the Glyphname, this gives a total
size for this Table of 11440 Bytes, even a Font like Arial with 1127 Characters needs only
49588 Bytes. Assume you have 600 Arial like Fonts, this would use around 3 MB for the tables.
So 150 MB is quite to much.

Best Regards,
Franz Schmid