[Scribus] a quick question

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef
Mon May 5 09:14:56 CEST 2003

>I tried the version you compiled, and after opening enough documents (about
>20), got it to do the same thing.  It froze for about five minutes, then got
>better.  Again, the other windows open were really slow, but after moving
>the about a bit returned to normal as well.  I did get some errors in the
>console this time and have attached them in a file.  One reason why my
>system could be slightly different than yours is that I upgraded my system
>from redhat 8.0 to redhat 9.  Because of this, I check what versions of qt I
>had in /usr/lib and I have 2.3.1, 3.0.5, and 3.1.  Let me know if any of
>this if cruft left over from the 8.0 install, and if it is , I will delete
>it and see how that affects things.

This, together with the "my windows were slow but got better after going through them once", seems to be a memory problem: scribus is eating up all the available memory, after which the system starts swapping. Stopping scribus releases the memory and eventually the swapped out applications come back alive (after weaking them up by going through the windows). So my suggestion would be to check the memory usage while trying it again.
Me myself already noticed that, in 0.9.9 on redhat 8.0, the printing eats up huge amounts of memory: scribus needs about 150 MB of ram during printing ...

Franky