[Scribus] Better Font Handling -- Any thoughts on this...

Mark Muller m.muller
Fri Mar 28 15:31:13 CET 2003

Just been rummaging around the 'net and found some interesting info regarding
typographic display systems for 'nix

http://stsf.sourceforge.net/news.html

"Standard Type Services Framework (STSF) is a portable open-source software
framework for rendering typographically sophisticated text. STSF is font
technology neutral. It supports all features of TrueType, Type1, TrueType GX
and OpenType and provides a consistent name space to applications.
STSF is platform neutral. It has a porting layer that can be integrated with
any imaging framework including, for example, the X Window System, Java2 SE
Java2D, and Star/OpenOffice. STSF supports bitmap or vector image data
formats. It communicates with any host graphics systems by means of a set of
callback functions. The STSF architecture permits great flexibility in the X
implementation.
STSF was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. and made available for the open
source community under the BSD license."

Looks to be a very nice system for implementing better Font rendering under X.
I have downloaded the current source's and will install to see if any better
results can be had than those found using the native rendering under X.
Although I think that it needsto be support compiled into the App that is to
use its capabilities which is well beyond my skills...  Franz/Paul  !?!  :)

Regards,

Mark Muller