[Scribus] Scribus Filename version ...

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando
Wed Mar 12 16:22:23 CET 2003

Michael Below wrote:

>"Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando" <gorlando at futuretg.com> writes:
>

>>Actually I fix: "scr". May be also "scb".
>>

>.scb is only slightly better a choice, as that extension is also used
>by 2 other programs (see http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=scb).
>
>In general I think it is not very intelligent to try to find a unique
>three-letter file extension to identify a file type. A scribus
>document is identified in a unique way by the "<SCRIBUS>" tag inside
>the file, something similar goes for most other file types.
>

>>>, or StarOffice's Spreadsheet module? OpenOffice.org now uses the
>>>sxc extension for native spreadsheets.
>>>

>>I now that ... but there are a lot of people still using StarCalc.
>>

>There is always another program using the same extension. Don't rely
>on extensions.
>

>>Because GPL, thanks to God everyone may do what they prefer.
>>
>>I will re-evaluate the decision again to change or not the extension
>>type, but from a primary analysis
>>this change must be made.
>>

>You are free to do what you want, but I don't think your plan makes
>sense.
>

>>In any case, scribus is NOT complaint to our FTGUIX standard and therefore
>>we need to modify the source in depth.
>>
>>This will open a new branch of development.
>>
>>I simply comment here to avoid it so, everyone may get benefits from a
>>single effort.
>>

>This is bad style. You say you "need" to change scribus in depth, to
>comply with some un-published GUI standards for your not yet existing
>Red-Hat-type Linux flavor -- so what kind of single effort to you
>expect? Should Franz look into his crystal ball to see your GUI
>wishes and comply? Please get real.

Well. We plan to publish the FTGUIX guidelines as soon we release FTOSX,
and including
the base software enhancements.

When we will announce we will have the CD installable including the all
the enhancements.
Only when we have all ... we will publish.

Scribus belong to FTOffice a set of GPL Office applications, including
OpenOffice
and others.

We need to complete the installer to announce. I working on this matter.

If once published the scribus developers likes ... everyone will be happy.

We will release scribus 'as is' including the actual file extension, etc.

We are using the latest version.

>If you want to do something for scribus, help the developers. If you
>want to do something for your company, that's also fine, but you
>shouldn't expect people to work for your special needs just because
>you say so.
>
>BTW: the ftp link ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/pub/FTOSX on your web page
>doesn't work, probably a permission problem.

I know that. All 'download' material will belong to
'http://www.rpmparadaise.org'
... Someday we will finish.

... Is almost everything done. ;-)

Thanks,
Giovanni

>Michael

  Future Technologies, The TOTAL Linux Company!

   http://www.futuretg.com
   ftp://ftp.futuretg.com/
   mailto:gorlando at futuretg.com

   Italia:                          USA
   Via Cairoli, 1                   1620 26th Street - 3rd floor South Tower
   33170 - Pordenone (PN)           Santa Monica - CA

   Mobile:   +39 338 33 16 156.
   Telefono: +39 0434 - 209 107.
   Fax:      +39 0434 - 209 510.

http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com -  The best training product ever made!