[Scribus] OpenOffice.org Support

Alexandre Prokoudine avp
Mon Jun 30 10:31:04 CEST 2003

On 26 Jun 2003 09:19:47 +0100
PFJ <paulf.johnson at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > Yes, that is a common critique.
> >
> > And where can I read the common answer? :-)
>
> discuss at openoffice.org may be a good start.

Paul, are you suggesting me to discuss Scribus's format in OOo's
list? :)

> As for getting OOo doc files into Scribus, it shouldn't really be
> a problem. I had a chat with the OOo lads at the NIA bash on
> Tuesday night who became excited (to say the least) over the
> descriptions of Scribus - they did know what it was, but hadn't
> looked at it. As I had my laptop with me, they were able to see
> that the XML Scribus generates and that of OOo docs should really
> not be too hard to do. With any luck, the 1.1 release will have it
> in - lots has to be done before that...

Yes, writing an XSL for XSLT processing from <tag>text</tag> to
<newtag text="text"/> will be work for real men :)

> Another fun thing which happened was that I have had an email from
> someone at Quark who wanted to know how the Quark importer was
> going to work given it was closed (I think they wanted an
> admission of reverse engineering). While they were not exactly
> over the the moon with my reply, they didn't put up a bar on the
> development, but did request that the plugin is kept closed
> source. After about 5 seconds of thought though, the one word
> which cross my mind was naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :-)

:-)))))))

I think, there are basically 5 formats whose support in Scribus
would be highkly aappreciated in future: OpenOffice.org, RTF, Quark,
InDesign and PageMaker. Last three also seem to provide support
for XML at the moment.

--
Alexandre Prokoudine
ALT Linux Documentation Team