[Scribus] OpenOffice.org Support

PFJ paulf.johnson
Thu Jun 26 10:19:47 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > > E.g. text is being written as argument to a tag., e.g.
> > >
> > > <ITEXT CAB="0" CCOLOR="Black" CSIZE="8" CH="some text"
> > > CSHADE="100" CSTYLE="0" CFONT="Nimbus Roman No9 L Medium"
> > > CEXTRA="2"/>
> > >
> > > In the XML world it would be more appropriate to make it this
> > > way:
> > >
> > > <texttag argument="value">some text</texttag>
> > >
> > > There also are no xml declaration and no DTD. The last point
> > > really makes me frustrated.
> >
> > Yes, that is a common critique.
>
> And where can I read the common answer? :-)

discuss at openoffice.org may be a good start.

As for getting OOo doc files into Scribus, it shouldn't really be a
problem. I had a chat with the OOo lads at the NIA bash on Tuesday night
who became excited (to say the least) over the descriptions of Scribus -
they did know what it was, but hadn't looked at it. As I had my laptop
with me, they were able to see that the XML Scribus generates and that
of OOo docs should really not be too hard to do. With any luck, the 1.1
release will have it in - lots has to be done before that...

Another fun thing which happened was that I have had an email from
someone at Quark who wanted to know how the Quark importer was going to
work given it was closed (I think they wanted an admission of reverse
engineering). While they were not exactly over the the moon with my
reply, they didn't put up a bar on the development, but did request that
the plugin is kept closed source. After about 5 seconds of thought
though, the one word which cross my mind was naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :-)

TTFN

Paul
--
Open your mind to a time where a company does not have control
Open your mind to a choice of applications which you can control