[Scribus] small 0.9.11.1 problem

Franz Schmid Franz.Schmid
Sun Jun 22 10:41:51 CEST 2003

Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:43:39 +0200

> ok, back from testing: reverting to the original rpm's (qt-3.1.1) didn't
> change anything, but it did show me that in 9 out of 10 cases you get to
> trash the window manager when creating a new document with qt-3.1.1.
> Could this have anything to do with the fact that I have a athlon and I'm
> not specifying "-march=athlon" to the configure process?
> Anyway, the next test was to see if it happened with kde on that machine
> as well, and the answer is: no, every window is bounded there.
>
> So, my conclusion so far is that scribus-0.9.11.1 is (almost) incompatible
> with qt-3.1.1 (problem when opening or creating a doc) and (almost)
> incompatible with gnome 2.2 (some windows without boundings), both which
> are default installed in the latest redhat 9.0 release (even with all the
> updates applied), but it works under kde (with the latest qt-3.1.2 as well
> of course) so for the moment kde it is.
> I don't this is the way it was meant to be, so I hope Franz (and the rest
> of the developers) can iron out the rinkles (I know it must be tiny things
> that need fixing, but it would help lots of users out there).
I never ever had these problems neither with Qt-3.0.x nor Qt-3.1.1 or Qt.3.1.2,
it really seems that your X-Windows installation is somewhat damaged. A hint to
this is the fact that you wrote: "on the remote Display everything works fine".

Peter Linnell has also a Redhat 9.0 Installation and he reports that the latest
Versions of Scribus are rock-solid stable. And he does very harsh tests with
Scribus.

What me also puzzles is the fact that Version 0.9.10 works for you. But there
are no changes in Ver. 0.9.11 that could cause the problems you have. The code
for the Measurement Palette for example has only minor changes unrelated to the
Display.

One Question: did you install RH 9.0 from Scratch or did you an Update from an
older Version with an already installed Scribus-0.9.10 ?

Best Regards,
Franz Schmid