[Scribus] small 0.9.11.1 problem

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef
Sat Jun 21 23:27:06 CEST 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:43:39 +0200
Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at pandora.be> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:08:26 +0200
> Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at pandora.be> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:34:21 +0200
> > Franz Schmid <Franz.Schmid at altmuehlnet.de> wrote:

> > > There must be something badly wrong with you X Installation, because
> > > the Measurement Palette is a Dialog just as any other Dialog (the
> > > Scrapbook Window is defined just the same)
> >
> > Hmmm ... my installation is a default redhat 9 install (one month old)
> > with the latest updates (no manual compilation) and the extra qt-3.1.2
> > updated rpm's. Maybe I need to update the accompanying kde rpm's as
> > well, but since I'm using gnome, that shouldn't matter.
> > And it only happens to the measurement pallete, all the rest is just
> > fine...
> > I tried looking through the code, but it's waaaaay to complex to find
> > something in there fast for me :)
> > I'm now trying the latest cvs, but maybe it's a qt-3.1.2 issue ... but
> > since I installed qt 3.1.2 before I stumbled on this error, I don't
> > know this ...
>
> Some more testing: the outline window and the scrapbook are the only two
> that have a window bounding, the rest (bookmarks, palette, measurements)
> do not ... The latest cvs version didn't change anything about this
> fact. Later on, I'll try reverting to the original qt rpm's and see wht
> that does.

ok, back from testing: reverting to the original rpm's (qt-3.1.1) didn't
change anything, but it did show me that in 9 out of 10 cases you get to
trash the window manager when creating a new document with qt-3.1.1.
Could this have anything to do with the fact that I have a athlon and I'm
not specifying "-march=athlon" to the configure process?
Anyway, the next test was to see if it happened with kde on that machine
as well, and the answer is: no, every window is bounded there.

So, my conclusion so far is that scribus-0.9.11.1 is (almost) incompatible
with qt-3.1.1 (problem when opening or creating a doc) and (almost)
incompatible with gnome 2.2 (some windows without boundings), both which
are default installed in the latest redhat 9.0 release (even with all the
updates applied), but it works under kde (with the latest qt-3.1.2 as well
of course) so for the moment kde it is.
I don't this is the way it was meant to be, so I hope Franz (and the rest
of the developers) can iron out the rinkles (I know it must be tiny things
that need fixing, but it would help lots of users out there).

Franky