[Scribus] Problem with EPS

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Tue Jun 17 05:01:24 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 05:08, Pier Luigi Cinquantini wrote:
> Je Diman?o, la 15a de Junio 2003 05:05, Peter Linnell skribis:
> >
> > By which program ?  Illustrator ? Corel Draw ? Photoshop ?
> >
> > Are you trying to include this in another document or application ? PDF
> > might be a better way. GSView 4.4 and Ghostscript 8.0 on Win2k open the
> > few Scribus EPS files I have tested.
> >

> I'm making a little magazine (with Windows98, and now I began with Scribus),
> but my town's printing-works uses (of course) Mac. So, I give them my files
> in PDF. The problem is the pictures (b/w), wich can't be modified, so they
> noticed me to try to use EPS (for the files with pictures). I did, but they
> can't be read by their Mac. I tried to open with Corel Draw 7 (Win) but it
> can't.

Corel Draw has good export of EPS, but the EPS import is so so.

> I'm a newbie about professional printing. May be that happens in Windows
> because it hasn't got ghostscript, but why not in a Mac of a professional
> printingworks?

Ghostscript has nothing to do with this. Asking for EPS files is a
common response by Mac (and more typically) Quark Xpress based printers.
Why ? A couple of reasons:

Quark does not handle other file formats like TIFF and PDF very well.
Quark, in general, handles EPS files the best. Some Quark users
habitually convert every kind of image to an EPS, not needed at times
IMO.

They might have an older image setter which does not really support PDF
well.

I could go off on a rant about this at length...except to say printers
who will not support PDF are doomed to extinction sooner or later.

Hope that helps to understand the situation.

Peter