[Scribus] OpenOffice.org Support

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Sun Jun 15 19:19:21 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 13:07, Michael Hopcroft wrote:
> 	I don't have my copy of Scribus running yet, so this may seem like a
> premature and/or impertinent question.
> 	I'm a Linux user who is using OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 as my word
> processor. I'm pretty sure Scribus can import Word files,

It can't. Be advised, Sun and the Open Office team have spent a
considerable amount of time developing these filters. Word > OO & OO
>Word. I think they have done a remarkable job.

MS Word file formats are internally very messy and even Word has
problems crossing different versions at times. IMNSHO developing an
import filer for Word would be a complete waste of developer time. Word
files can bring a lot of ugly baggage when importing to other apps.

>  a format to
> which OpenOffice.org saves. However, it's native file format is much
> easier to work with. It also appears to be the default Linux word
> processor in most distros. What I'd like to know 9either while or before
> I install Scribus) is whether the program has any support whatsoever for
> OpenOffice.org's native file format or whether I would need to save to a
> different format to import the file into Scribus.

Save as a text file - which can have custom encodings in the latest Beta
of OO.

Import as text, which in Scribus 0.9.11 can read custom encodings.

This will support text in encodings other than 8859-1, like CE and
Russian.

As for an OO import filter, this would be much easier as a.) It is well
documented and b. there is now an XML export in OO 1.1 beta. c. Source
code for OO is available.

Hope that helps,
Peter