[Scribus] from the chalk face

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Jun 11 03:04:11 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 13:43, fsanta wrote:
> Just to say that one of my 14 year old students using 0.9.10 on our all SuSE
> lan said this afternoon that, '...windows should have something like this,
> then I could use it at home'. Any advice anyone ;-)

Scribus on Windows 2000:
http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/cygwin.html

there is a link for screen shots at the bottom.

Downside: Needs a fair amount of horsepower - 512mb of ram minimum and a
fast disk drive. Not everything works 100%. Need to know how to install
Cygwin the KDE-Cygwin packages just so.

Upside: Excellent display quality. Once loaded performs *very* well.
Screen redraws are surprisingly quick with good hardware.

Bottom line: We will have it sorted out and documented pretty soon..

> Keep up the amazing progress and I would love hear any other teachers out
> there with similar experience on Scribus.
>
> Cheers, Steve.
>
> ps give us an rpm someone

http://rpmseek.com/rpm-pl/scribus.html?hl=com&cx=0::

has a listing of all the latest RPMS for Mandrake, RH and Suse. I would,
if you have common hardware and setup, rebuild the source rpms with the
latest source tarball and then use these for the other workstations.

has the rpms I built for Marti Maria's  littlecms, including the
libraries, utilities and devel rpm to compile CMS support for Scribus.
The SRPMS with some spec file tweaks will probably re-build fine on Suse
and Mandrake.

Let me know if you need some hints. I do not know Suse well, but I have
been working quite a bit to perfect building RH rpms.

Regards,
Peter

Peter Linnell <scribusdocs at atlantictechsolutions.com>