[Scribus] Style menu missing.

Peter Linnell scribusdocs
Wed Jun 4 03:57:30 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 20:31, John Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 June 2003 08:18 pm, Peter Linnell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 19:58, John Culleton wrote:
> > > I am experimenting with 0.8 because newer versions do not compile on
> > > my machine. I find that many of my needs could be met with the style
> > > menu. Unfortunately it is empty.
> > >
> > > What did I do wrong?
> > >
> > > And I would appreciate help with my compile miseries with 9.10. I
> > > would like to catch up with the rest of you, but if it won't compile I
> > > can't play. See previous posts, or if necessary I will repost.
> >
> > John,
> >
> > What distro do you run ? Debian ? RH?
> Slackware 8.1
>

> > Output of   $ gcc -v
>
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/specs
> gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

OK there. Though I think gcc 3.2 is a huge improvement.

> > What also helps is to know which versions of libraries you have
> > installed. From the looks of your previous posts, you might have some
> > older versions of libraries like Qt, freetype2,littlecms etc..
> >
> > Regards,
> > Peter
> Qt=3.0.3

Disclaimer: I know very little about Slack.

This is an old version of Qt - really the minimum to build Scribus. If
you are so inclined, compile a parallel version of Qt 3.1.2 and set
QTDIR to something like /usr/local/qt312. This is just an example - suit
to taste.

Then compile scribus 0.9.10 or cvs using the updated Qt. Like this:

$export QTDIR=/usr/local/qt312

then in Scribus' source directory:

$./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/local/qt312

This way you do not break any dependencies with other packages(like
KDE). Then simply write a small script to set QTDIR before launching
Scribus. I do this all the time when testing new versions of Qt and
Scribus. Currently I have Qt 3.0.5a from RH installed, with Qt 3.1.2 and
3.2 beta1 built from source. Qt 3.2 promises to be the best Qt yet, but
it is quite unstable with Scribus at the moment. It crashes about every
30 minutes, but when you re-compile Scribus cvs with 3.1.2 it runs very
stable.

Note: I am sure you are quite capable in building from source, but this
might help other lurkers on the list.

It is so frustrating to look for answers on lists and find:

Q: blah blah ?

A: man foo

> Freetype=2.1.3

OK.
> Littlcms not installed. I thought it was optional.

Optional, just wanted to make sure there was not an older version
kicking around.

The other thought is you could have an old or buggy versions of
binutils.

Franz, Paul and I collectively pulled our hair out for a few days when
Franz began to setup the cvs repository. We found the issue was a very
old version of autoconf.

> I very much appreciate your reply.

No problems. Keep posting messages until we get it sorted.

Regards,
Peter