[Scribus] LWN.net about Scribus

Paraplegic Racehorse paraplegic_racehorse
Fri Jul 18 00:54:44 CEST 2003

Hi! My first post to the list.

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 12:47, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> LWN.net has an article about Scibus at http://lwn.net/Articles/40000/ -
> the interesting thing there is the comments which discuss if Scribus is
> the first DTP app for Linux or not, as some consider LaTeX to generate
> "press-ready" results as well and might be capable of DTP as well...

After reading those comments, it might serve the Scribus project better
to refrain from the claim of being the first Linux DTP app. Just replace
DTP with 'page layout.' Apparently, there are far too many nitpicky
geeks out there. That's one of the biggest problems with us, really. :)
We tend to get overly excited about how someone uses one single word in
their ad-copy and miss the forest for the tree.

As for their argument... I don't want to learn LaTeX and I've never been
happy with layout restrictions placed on me by LyX and the various LaTeX
styles that it can use. I think this is a fabulous application and
intend to use it professionally, now that I've decided that
OpenOffice.org just can't do the layout sophistication that I want.

BTW: Feature Request: Direct Import OpenOffice.org files. Should be just
a simple matter of creating a parser for their XML and saving into
Scribus' XML. I'd do it myself, but I have trouble getting "Hello
World!" programs to compile.

~/Charles